KCA University is one of Africa’s top private universities, with a strong focus on business and technology. It was founded in July 1989 and chartered in 2013.
KCA University Libraries are; state of the art learning and research centers for the community, recognized for excellence in the provision of library and information services in Kenya.
We subscribe to an increasing number of electronic journals (e-journals) and the growing collection of electronic books (e-books), available to KCA University students and staff online 24/7 via the off campus resources portal.
KCA University seeks to recruit a highly motivated and innovative person for the below position in the Library department.
Deputy University Librarian
Job Objective: Reporting to the University Librarian, The Deputy University Librarian shall be responsible for management of overall Library operations and development of Library policies and systems affecting library services.
The person shall coordinate evaluation and selection of information resources required for the various programs, provide information literacy skills and encourage lifelong learning.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Working with the University Librarian; the person is responsible for developing library policies and systems affecting all aspects of library service; planning and implementing library programs. The person shall also be responsible for user and technical services and library security staff
- Developing and implementing Information Literacy Programs and consult with faculty in creating opportunities for orientation and teaching information literacy skills including facilitating academic success and encouraging lifelong learning by combining new and best traditional techniques and technologies.
- Developing work schedules for and assigning duties to library staff and be in charge of University’s Library daily operations
- Provision of reference and research assistance in the library
- Working with faculty, students and staff in collection development and coordinate the evaluation and selection of information required for the various programs in the university and acquisition of library resources
- Creation and sustenance of awareness for use of library services; market and position the library as an integral part of teaching, learning and research in the University • Assist in recruitment, evaluation, coaching and mentoring of staff, attaché’s and interns in the library.
- Developing and carrying our customer satisfaction surveys
- Working with the Librarian in budget preparation
- Working with the university Librarian, the person will plan, develop and implement the library projects
- The person shall deputize the university librarian and perform any other duties as assigned by supervisor from time to time.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Masters in Library and Information Sciences from a reputable University.
- Minimum six years’ experience at supervisory level or senior librarian level from a reputable academic institution.
- Extensive knowledge in Library Management, automation and E-Library services.
- Information Literacy competence.
Other Skills and Competences:
- Management and supervisory skills.
- Independent decision making.
- Coaching skills.
- Team player.
- Good Communication and computer skills.
- Independent decision making.
- Excellent interpersonal relations skills (customer care skills).
Interested candidates who meet the above requirements should submit an application letter indicating current and desired salary, a detailed CV, and three referees’ contacts via email to email@example.com and addressed; “Deputy University Librarian” so as to be received not later than 12th February, 2016.
Only shortlisted candidates will be acknowledged.
The Human Resources Director,
P.O Box 56808-00200,