Our client is a leading provider of integrated business and technology solutions across Africa in the Financial, Telecom, Real Estate, Service Industries and Government sectors in partnership with global technology industry leaders.
They are driven by the desire to deliver business value to customers through a combination of processes, innovation, excellence, quality frameworks and service delivery with the core motivation being to define service excellence in technology driven business solutions.
Our client is looking for a seasoned legal counsel to take up the role of a Head of Legal.
They have operations which cut across the Eastern Africa countries of Kenya, Ethiopia, Burundi and Rwanda, the Southern Africa countries of Zambia, Zimbabwe, Angola and Mozambique, the Western African countries of Ghana and Nigeria and Portugal in Europe.
The job holder will report to the Chief Executive Officer / Board of Directors.
Further details concerning the role are as follows:
Job Purpose / Summary: The Head of Legal will be responsible for the effective and efficient management of the Legal department, provision of legal advisory services and ensuring effective management of legal and contractual risks.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide leadership and ensure efficient and effective management of staff and resources in the Legal department.
- Review and provide legal advice on tender documents.
- Review ongoing cases and advice management accordingly. Liaise with relevant departments to ensure that where legal risks have been identified, appropriate courses of action have been taken.
- Provide legal protection and risk management advice to management especially on contract management.
- Provide and interpret legal information, conduct training and disseminate appropriate legal requirements to staff.
- Review and advise management on legal implications of internal policies and procedures.
- Review and draft contracts, agreements and internal policies and ensure that they are in compliance with all statutory or legal requirements.
- Review progress of outstanding litigation and liaise with and manage external lawyers.
- Formulate compliance check-lists to be used for the purpose of ensuring that all information required is provided accordingly.
- Continuously monitor compliance with statutory obligations and advise management accordingly.
- Prepare monthly and quarterly reports for the department for executive management meetings.
- Review all contracts or any other documentation where the Company has committed itself and assess legal implications that need to be brought to the executive management’s attention.
- Prepare, review and modify contractual instruments to assist and support various business activities.
- Negotiate, review and draft documentation for business transactions and prepare and advise on the necessary checklist to be adopted to ensure information is submitted on time.
- Provide continuous leadership, supervision, training and development of department staff ensuring an effective and motivated team.
- LLB undergraduate degree.
- A Master’s degree will be an added advantage.
- Must be an Advocate of the High Court of Kenya.
- At least eight years legal experience ideally in a leading organization, with a proven track record in contract negotiation and drafting.
- Proven track record of providing accurate and effective legal counsel.
- Proven track record of adding value to an organization through the development of comprehensive contract documents that mitigate risk and penalties.
- Excellent relationship management and communication skills necessary for interaction with the Government of Kenya, the Judicial system and negotiating parties.
- Demonstrate knowledge of, and experience with, laws dealing with government and/or commercial contract administration, particularly contract negotiation, preparation and administration.
- Ability to provide independent advice (orally and in writing) to senior level management on highly technical matters.
- Strong leadership and managerial skills.
- Demonstrate success in managing and conducting a variety of litigation matters.
- Good planning and organization skills.
- Proven ability to delicately solve sensitive matters.
How to apply:
If you are interested in the position and have the skills and talents our client is looking for, we would like to hear from you.
Please send your application to firstname.lastname@example.org on or before 5th February 2016.
Only successful candidates will be contacted.