The University of Washington (UW) is proud to be one of America’s premier educational and research institutions. We have been conducting medical research and program activities in Kenya for over 25 years.
As part of this endeavor, the Treatment, Research and Expert Education (TREE) program has contributed to HIV medical research and has developed HIV treatment, prevention and management capacity through training, clinical mentorship, and webcast distance learning lectures.
The TREE Program has an outstanding opportunity for a Data Manager.
Data Manager (DM) Description: The Data Manager will assist the Study coordinator and the Principal Investigators (PIs) to supervise and manage all data clerks and personnel as related to data collection and management issues.
S/he will perform data quality checks and resolve any issues that arise, communicate with the research staff as related to research data, and the investigators in order to resolve errors.
The data manager will also perform analyses that highlight relationships or be able to interpret such analysis to investigators, attend and participate in regularly scheduled management meetings / discussions and implement actions points as necessary and relevant to the management of data.
The DM will be required to have the ability to develop an in-depth understanding of study aims, protocols, SOPs in order to carry out implementation of study objectives.
Most importantly, the DM, will work closely with the Study Coordinator and the PIs.
- Primary responsibility will be the data management for studies
- Develop and maintain overall database system using ODK and assist other departments including the lab and reception teams to maintain their specific databases
- Supervise data entry clerks
- Conduct predetermined frequent data quality checks and come up with ways of solving issues arising from these checks
- Assist in coming up with a data quality protocols and SOPs to be used for quality checks and assurance for databases under data management.
- Assist in the design and implementation of case report forms and databases.
- Supervise the data log book of data entry queries and inconsistencies maintained by the data clerks
- Prepare and review data for weekly study audit meetings
- Assist in reviewing training needs of data personnel and play an active role in the training and development of data staff. This includes developing skillsets in data cleaning, analysis, software, and reviewing SOPs.
- Analyze/summarize and interpret data in preparation for the generation of statistical and analytical reports as per the study coordinator and/or PI requests.
- Participate in the development of data analysis plan.
- Prepare weekly, monthly, and quarterly summary tables of the data collection progress for funding agencies and bi-annual reports for the data safety and monitoring board meeting.
- Respond to any new requests for data related to specific research and analysis activities.
- Back-up all central data as predetermined and maintain the security of data
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in related fields such as Public Health, Statistics or IT (Masters preferred)
- Experience in use of mobile data collection (knowledge of ODK is a plus)
- Experience in data management
- Proficiency in longitudinal data analysis
- Proficiency in SPSS
- Knowledge of Stata is a plus
- Minimum of 3 years of experience data management and analysis
- Strong leadership and managerial, and supervision skills
- Excellent demonstrated organizational skills
- Good oral and written communication skills
- Willingness to take initiative and improve data management systems based on well thought out and tested trials
- Ability to work under varying levels of pressure
- Proficiency in data analysis, interpretation and manipulation of data
- Knowledge of STATA, SPSS, SAS, and/or R,
- Experience in a research setting will be an added advantage
Terms of Employment: The successful candidate will be offered a 1-year renewable contract as per UW-TREE terms of service including a probation period for the first 3 months of employment.
Remuneration: Compensation is negotiable within a relevant grade, based on educational levels, relevant experience and demonstrated competency.
The salary will be based on the UW-TREE salary scales.
- Submit your application letter addressed to the TREE Study Coordinator. Include your daytime telephone contact, telephone contacts of three professional referees, a detailed Curriculum Vitae, and a cover letter that details your qualification for this specific position.
- Do not attach copies of certificates and testimonials; these should be available upon request only.
- Submit your application by February 12, 2016 at 5:00 pm to firstname.lastname@example.org. The subject line must read: “Application for UW TREE Data Manager Position”.
- Only short-listed candidates will be contacted