Vacancy: Communications and Policy Officer
The African Population and Health Research Center (APHRC) is an international non-profit, non - governmental organization that carries out high quality, policy relevant research on population, health and education issues facing sub-Saharan Africa.
APHRC is looking for a dynamic, motivated, innovative and creative individual to join its Policy Engagement and Communications division, reporting to the PEC Director and based in Nairobi.
Strong editing and writing skills are mandatory for this role.
Candidates must submit a portfolio of writing samples with their application.
The Communications and Policy Officer will be responsible for corporate communications and will provide support to research programs. As a mid-level member of the PEC team he or she will:
- Write and edit articles for the Center’s website, quarterly newsletters and other corporate communication products;
- Work with researchers to develop opinion editorials, blog posts, and articles for non-scholarly publications to support advocacy and research uptake into policy discussions;
- Lead the dissemination of research findings from the Education and Urbanization programs with creative and innovative products to harness the public interest;
- Steer policy analysis and mapping for the Urbanization program;
- Participate in strategic planning and resource mobilization endeavors for the PEC Division;
- Develop and implement protocols for knowledge management.
Qualifications and Competencies
The ideal candidate should be a team player with the following qualities:
- A first degree in Communications, Public Relations, Journalism or related field; a Master’s degree will be an added advantage;
- At least five (5) years of post-qualification, increasingly responsible work experience in communication, writing and content creation, public relations and media relations;
- Demonstrable track record in media engagement;
- Familiarity with communications approaches for planning, executing, and monitoring communications strategies;
- Excellent written and verbal communication;
- Demonstrated willingness to work as part of a team;
- Networking, interpersonal, analytical and organizational skills coupled with resourcefulness, initiative and maturity of judgment.
Interested candidates are encouraged to apply and include their letter of application, portfolio of their work and CV, through our recruitment portal http://jobs.aphrc.org by 5th February 2016.
Only short listed candidates will be contacted.
Cover letters should be addressed to:
The Human Resources Officer
African Population and Health Research Center, Inc
APHRC Campus, Manga Close, off Kirawa Road, Kitisuru