Global Programs For Research & Training
Affiliate of the University of California
Monitoring & Evaluation (M&E) Officer
Based in Kisumu
Background: The University of California San Francisco (UCSF) is engaged in a five year Cooperative Agreement with the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention-Kenya (CDC-Kenya) to provide technical assistance to the Ministry of Health and its partners for HIV and STI program Monitoring and Evaluation.
We are recruiting individuals through our affiliated international NGO Global Programs for Research & Training to serve as M&E Officers for HIV monitoring and evaluation activities.
These positions are based in Kisumu, and incumbents would likely begin working on March 1st 2016.
The positions require a one-year commitment, with the potential for extension at the end of the period, subject to funding availability.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
Under the supervision of the Senior M&E Officer, the M&E Officer will work with the UCSF M&E team, the Global Programs in-country M&E team and the National AIDS and STI Control Programme (NASCOP) Strategic Information (SI) team to:
- Provide support for conducting M&E capacity assessments. Tasks would include providing input on the design of different data collection tools, conducting interviews with key stakeholders, providing support for data synthesis and analysis, and report writing.
- Provide support for the roll out of new national level M&E tools. Tasks will include providing support to the M&E team for tool revisions (as indicated through a pilot phase), input on the design of a TOT training, support the development of an analysis plan for DHIS platform using revised aggregate tool, and if needed, participate in the M&E technical working group.
- Support the M&E team with the development of a standardized cohort analysis curriculum and training. Tasks would include the development of training materials and curriculum, workshop facilitation, support in the documentation of the roll out (through reports and published manuscripts), support in the development and implementation of recommendations resulting from cohort analysis findings.
- Provide support for the development of a DQA toolkit. Tasks include support in conducting DQAs at various sites throughout Kenya, helping to develop standardized operating procedures for sites with EMRs, providing support to the scaling up of routine DQAs at both paper and electronic sites, and workshop facilitation.
- Provide support in the development of e-learning materials, job aides, tool kits and standard operating procedures for revised M&E tools, DQAs and cohort analysis. Inputs will include the support of development of the various tools, support in creation of an e-learning platform, and monitoring of use of the e-learning system and dissemination of program materials to MOH and partner staff.
- A Master’s degree in public health, social science or relevant field is required.
- Minimum of three years of progressive professional experience in Monitoring and Evaluation of public health programs. Experience with HIV/STI programs preferred.
- 5 years of progressive experience in monitoring and evaluation and a Bachelor’s degree in public health or related field may be substituted for a Master’s degree.
- Demonstrated ability in project design, data analysis, monitoring, and evaluation of health programs.
- Demonstrated oral and written communication skills.
- Availability to travel in-country to monitor and evaluate programs, conduct assessment and provide technical guidance to MOH and its partners.
- Fluency in English and Kiswahili is required.
Other desired skills/qualities:
- Ability to summarize disparate information in a clear and concise manner
- Strong organizational skills in order to balance competing priorities
- Ability to work independently to efficiently meet deadlines
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Excellent computer skills, including word processing and excel
- Strong background in international health and monitoring and evaluation/research methods
- Experience working in the M&E field with a PEPFAR funded agency
All applicants must address each selection criterion detailed in the minimum requirements above with specific and comprehensive information supporting each item.
All applications must include the following:
- A current CV with names and telephone numbers for 3 referees
- Copies of academic and professional certificates
- Salary history
Applications must be sent by email to email@example.com with the email subject M&E Officer by January 25, 2016.
NOTE: Only short listed candidates will be contacted.