Vacancy: Laboratory Specialist - Molecular
Proposed Start Date: Immediately
Introduction: Maryland Global Initiatives Corporation (MGIC) is an affiliate of University of Maryland, Baltimore (UMB).
UMB has a Global Health Program which is delivered through the Maryland Global Initiatives Corporation (MGIC) and housed by various institutes among them the Institute of Human Virology (IHV).
Since 2004, IHV has partnered with the governments of Kenya, Guyana, Haiti, Nigeria, Rwanda, Tanzania, Uganda and Zambia to address each country’s growing HIV and AIDS epidemics.
The Institute has led efforts to build National Health Systems in each country via strategic international, national, and local collaborations through the design and implementation of unique education, training, and treatment programs addressing each country’s complex HIV/AIDS epidemics.
In Kenya, UMB through the Institute of Human Virology started operations in 2004 under the AIDS Relief Project consortium funded by Presidential Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief (PEPFAR) through HRSA/CDC.
This was the beginning of UMB’s work in Kenya which has seen implementation of 11 grants to-date.
MGIC is seeking a suitably qualified person able to fill the position ofLaboratory Specialist -Molecular, under the Boresha Maabara Grant.
Boresha Maabara Grant: “BORESHA MAABARA” (improve laboratory services) is a five (5) year project funded through the US Government Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) under the President’s Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief (PEPFAR).
The project seeks to enhance diagnostic testing for the prevention, surveillance and treatment of infectious diseases such as HIV and tuberculosis, and other HIV-related opportunistic infections.
The project is implemented jointly by the Ministry of Health, National Public Health Laboratory Services, National Blood Transfusion Service and the respective County Governments.
Position Summary: Under the supervision of Senior Technical Advisor, Laboratory Specialist-molecular will be responsible for providing technical leadership, training and mentorship on laboratory service delivery and quality management system for the National Public Health Laboratory reference labs.
He/she will be expected to ensure effective service delivery on key HIV related tests such as viral load and early infant diagnosis in addition to facilitating attainment and or maintenance of accreditation status (ISO15189 and ISO17043) for the reference labs.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide technical leadership in performing PCR testing for various pathogens, including; Viral, Bacterial, protozoa, parasitic and other infectious agents.
- Support laboratory management for samples including specimen logging, procurement, equipment management, inventory management and sample transportation.
- Support in formulation/review of standard operating protocols and sample handling protocols as may be required.
- Initiate and support tracking of laboratory quality indicators for sample management and compile reports for intervention
- Support strengthening of sample repository/archiving systems for the national reference labs
- Facilitate ISO 15189 accreditation for the National TB Reference Laboratory (NTRL)
- Facilitate accreditation (ISO 17043) for National HIV Reference Laboratory (NHRL) Rapid HIV Test Proficiency Testing
- Support maintenance of accreditation status for the National TB Reference Laboratory (NTRL) and National HIV Reference Laboratory (NHRL)
- Facilitate the national reference laboratories enhance performance of EQA specific standards.
- Support integration initiatives of EQA tests (framework, networks, notification, information)
- Working closely with the national office, support coordination of equipment maintenance and calibration with the regions.
- Support strengthening of biosafety, infection control, occupational health and safety and medical waste management practices in the reference labs.
- Support utilization of data for enhanced service coverage and quality improvement.
- Minimum of Bachelor’s degree in Medical Laboratory sciences or Biomedical Sciences or other relevant field from a recognized University.
- Individuals with a masters and or PHD in Molecular biology/genetics will have an added advantage
- Must have clear understanding of molecular testing in relation to HIV viral load, early infant diagnosis.
- Must have hand-on experience with conventional and real-time PCR techniques.
- Demonstrated experience with Laboratory Information Systems and Laboratory Quality Management Systems.
- Experience of contribution to QMS in an ISO 15189 accredited Laboratory is an added advantage
- Ability to work independently, under pressure while at the same time adhering to strict deadlines.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Excellent analytical skills and problem solving skills.
- Innovative with a high degree of initiative
- Organizational skills
- Excellent Leadership & Presentation skills
How to Apply
If you meet the above qualifications, you are requested to send your application and CV to firstname.lastname@example.org by January 27, 2016.
Candidates are required to quote the title of the position being applied on the subject line of the email.
Only shortlisted candidate will be contacted.
Maryland Global Initiatives Corporation is an equal opportunity employer.