Kenya Red Cross Society is one of the largest humanitarian organizations in Kenya. Its mission is to be the leading humanitarian organization in Kenya delivering excellent quality service of preventing and Alleviating Human Suffering.
The Society is the Principal Recipient of Global Fund HIV Grant and seeks to fill the following position:
Position Title: PR & Communications Officer
Reporting to: PR & Communications Manager
Job location: Headquarters - Nairobi
Overall Purpose: Reporting to the PR & Communications Manager, the PR & Communications Officer will be responsible for the effective design, development, implementation and evaluation of effective public relations & communications strategies aimed at enhancing collaborative partnerships between the PR and the Sub Recipients while at the same time, promoting the Society’s image in order to create good-will and build credibility.
Other responsibilities include effective media relations and spearheading special media campaigns aimed at creating public awareness of the role played by KRCS in Global Fund programming.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Study the objectives, promotional policies and needs of GF programme and the Organization as a whole to develop public relations and communication strategies that will influence public opinion or promote ideas.
- Plan and implement communications strategy aimed at advancing the mission and objectives of KRCS through a combination of traditional advocacy efforts and a focused public relations program, positioning KRCS as a leader in setting ethical and professional standards that enhance the integrity of humanitarian programmes
- Maintain effective media relations, establish and maintain regular contact with media representatives and also promptly respond to requests for information from the media, other stakeholders and the general public in order to promote the Society’s image and reputation in regard to the GF program issues.
- Gather, edit and package communication materials and other publications including publicity materials, posters, fact-sheets, speeches, brochures, internet web pages and other publications for internal and external audiences, including employees, communities, stakeholders and the general public
- Coordinate the development, production and delivery of publications relating to the GF programme.
- Monitor the implementation of GF programmes by the Sub Recipients to identify, capture and document, innovative approaches and best practices for purposes of disseminating and sharing experiences to promote repeat applications or scaling-up in different community settings within the country and around the world
- Participate in multidisciplinary teams to develop, implement and evaluate strategic management plans and budgets, in order to improve performance standards
- Strengthen partnerships and networks with stakeholders, particularly government agencies, development partners, NGO’s and private sector organisations to ensure smooth implementation of humanitarian relief programmes
- Masters degree in Mass Communications, Journalism or equivalent plus membership affiliation to professional body
- Over five (5) years demonstrated experience in developing and implementing effective corporate communications programmes
- Ability to compose and produce a variety of communications materials and website updates for release to media and other stakeholders
- Ability to use computer software packages and internet formatting languages
- Ability to establish and maintain working relationships with the media, government officials, employees, donors, stakeholders and the general public
- Working knowledge of mass media operation and its proper utilization for dissemination of information
- Ability to provide practical training in PR/communication strategies, methods and techniques
Interested candidates who meet the above qualifications should send their applications to the address below on or before 6th February 2016.
Kenya Red Cross Society
P.O. Box 40712-00100,
Applications should have a cover letter, curriculum vitae, names and contacts of three referees.