The AgriFin Accelerate program will operate in three African countries (Kenya, Tanzania and Zambia) utilizing a market ecosystem approach, working with carefully selected partners to build sustainable models, where farm and crop management tools and financial services are "bundled" in affordable, unified platforms on mobile phone channels to promote mass uptake commercially.
The program involves three interrelated components that seek to address low farmer productivity and capability, and improve institutional ability to deliver appropriate products and build ecosystems to drive scale.
We work with farmers, banks, mobile network operators, MFIs, research institutes and other ecosystem players in well-defined partnerships to sustainably bundle services, leveraging the offer and outreach of all partners, while increasing the range of services, access points and value for farmers.
The program works with partners to identify, prototype, test and scale successful mobile-enabled services for smallholders, with a key focus on expanding access to financial services, using a rapid iteration approach to product development and client-centric design techniques.
We are presently looking for a committed and dynamic intern to take up the position of a Financial Analyst
General Position Summary: The purpose of this internship is to support the AgriFin Accelerate program in analyzing financial and revenue projections from prospective partners.
The intern will work under the supervision of the MercyCorps Senior Program Manager with support efforts from external financial consultants:
Internship Assignment Responsibilities:
- Analyzing potential partners current and past financial data and performance
- Preparing reports and projections based on this analysis
- Evaluating current capital expenditures and depreciation
- Exploring investment opportunities
- Establishing and evaluating profit plans
- Identifying Coordinating with other members of the finance team to review financial information and forecasts
- Providing financial models and forecasting.
- Review data about material assets, net worth, liabilities, capital stock, surplus, income, and expenditures.
- Run a background check on problems of money laundering, economic crime, cyber-sabotage and terrorism on selected partners.
- Collect and analyze data to detect deficient controls, duplicated effort, extravagance, fraud, or non-compliance with laws, regulations, and management policies
- Evaluating how to conduct good customer due diligence in non-face-to-face transactions with partners to eliminate risks.
- Plans checks by understanding organization objectives, structure, policies, processes, internal controls, and external regulations; identifying risk areas
- Support in conducting financial and operational checks to evaluate and document whether control systems provide assurance regarding all Companies effectiveness and efficiency of operations, compliance with applicable laws, regulations and internal policies, and safeguarding of assets, as well as overall reliability of financial reporting.
- Checking and analyzing spreadsheet data examining liabilities and financial control systems gauging levels of financial risk within partners
- Assist to get credit information that will facilitate assessment of credit ratings to mitigate risks of bad debts for partners and prospective investors; and also to identify honest/credible borrowers based on known history and character.
- Ensure full-file credit information sharing and alternative data sources from MFIs, SACCOs, HELB, Utilities, Mobile phone companies and providers of goods and services on credit to help customers improve their access to finance and increase the credit providers’ capacity to lend profitably to more customers.
- Analyze market conditions, social & economic data and financial information and assist in developing value-added recommendations to improve internal controls, operating efficiency and trends in financial performance for improvement.
- Engage to continuous knowledge development regarding sector’s rules, regulations, best practices, tools, techniques and performance standards.
- Reviews and evaluates all completed work, findings and recommendations for accuracy, adequacy and presence of sufficient supporting documentation; ensures that project work papers are assembled, maintained and filed correctly.
- Contributes to team results by welcoming new and different work requirements; exploring new opportunities to add value to the organization; helping others accomplish related job results as and where needed
The intern will:
- Gain experience in financial analysis and modelling in an organizational setting
- Gain experience in time management
- Learn financial presentation skills
Reports Directly To: Senior Program Manager
Supervisory Responsibility: None
Works Directly WITH: Program Director, Director of Learning, Monitoring & Evaluation, Technical Managers and the Finance team
Knowledge and Experience:
- A bachelor’s degree in commerce, accounting
- Accounting professional qualifications ACCA/CPA, CFA is an added advantage.
- A postgraduate qualification will be an added advantage.
Success Factors: The ideal candidate will have a strong curiosity for understanding. S/he will be an excellent communicator, multi-tasker, and able to work in ambiguous situations.
S/he will be a tolerant and flexible individual able to work in difficult and stressful environments and follow procedures. S/he will be a team-player with a positive attitude toward problem solving and conflict resolution.
The successful candidate will be focused on team-building; be a strategic thinker, have strong skills in project management and maintain a sense of humor.
Mercy Corps interns and volunteers represent the agency both during and outside of work hours and are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and MC's policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues
Interested candidates who meet the above required qualifications and experience should submit a cover letter, detailed curriculum vitae (CV) listing three professional referees (including a recent supervisor) to firstname.lastname@example.org on or before Friday 29th January 2016 by 4.00pm.
The email subject line must clearly show the job title.
Applications without the right subject heading will be automatically disqualified.
Please do not attach any certificates.
(Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. We will only get in touch with shortlisted candidates)
NB: Mercy Corps AgriFin Accelerate Program does not charge any fee at any stage of the recruitment process