Federal Government of Somalia
Ministry of Finance
Second Public Financial Management Capacity Strengthening Project
Request for Expressions of Interest
(Consulting Services – Individual Consultant Selection)
Project ID: P151492
Assignment Title: TA Procurement Specialist
Reference No.: FGS/PFMII/ICS/2016/002
The Federal Republic of Somalia has received financing from the World Bank toward the cost of the “Second Public Financial Management Capacity-Strengthening Project” (SPFMCSP) and intends to apply part of the proceeds of this grant for consulting services.
The Ministry of Finance (MOF) of the Federal Republic of Somalia (FRS) has undertaken the SPFMCSP with the objective to achieve overall fiscal discipline that ensures effective use of public funds and avoids fiscal waste.
The project refers to the legal and institutional framework for supervising all phases of the budget cycle, including formulation and preparation of the budget, budget execution and expenditure management, internal controls and audit, procurement, monitoring and reporting arrangements, and external audit.
2.0 Overall Objective:
The overall responsibilities of the TA Procurement Specialist are on
(i) to advise the senior management of the Ministry of Finance on all procurement aspects of the Project; and
(ii) He/she will be responsible for implementation of procurement activities within MoF coordination of all procurement activities within the MoF, and the line ministries (beneficiary institutions); and capacity building in MoF
(iii) The Procurement Specialist will work with other specialist in the project management unit to perform all necessary procurement under the PFM for the period of the assignment and
(iv) to support the Ministry of Finance in the implementation of its procurement reforms program.
3.0 Key Tasks:
The consultant shall do everything necessary to meet the above objectives, including but not limited to carrying out the following, by advising and or by doing as necessary:
- Provide advice and ensure that all the procurement activities of the project conducted conform and are compliant with World Bank Procurement Guidelines;
- Support the FGS to respond to technical issues arising in the draft procurement bill;
- Provide technical advice and support to the EAFS procurement section to ensure the World Bank procurement guidelines are compiled;
- Assist the EAFS procurement section with the preparation of various documents required at different stages of procurement cycle e.g. EOIs, IFBs, RFPs, bid documents, evaluation reports, minutes of negotiations, contract award, contracts, various internal processing documents required to facilitate decision making, filing and archiving the documents.
4.0 Duration of the Assignment: The offer is initially for twelve (12) months contract. The duty
station is Mogadishu, Somalia.
5.0 Qualifications, Experience and knowledge:
- The applicant shall have a Bachelor’s Degree in one of the following: Procurement, Business Administration, Accounting, Finance, Engineering e.t.c;
- An advanced degree with a major in a relevant discipline is an added advantage:
- A minimum of at least 10 years of direct relevant experience including broad expertise in the management of procurement in the public sector.
- Minimum of at least 5 years of experience in implementing procurement actions according to international organizations guidelines such as the World Bank, African Development Bank etc. for procurement of goods, services, and works;
- Minimum of at least 5 years of experience in implementing public sector procurement reforms in developing countries;
- Proven work experience on country procurement systems and procedures;
- Experience working in a Fragile State environment is desirable;
- Excellent computer skills for Microsoft Office tools (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint) and Internet use;
- Fluency in English is must;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills;
- High level interpersonal and relationship-building skills.
Mode of submission of Applications
Further information can be obtained by sending email requests at the email address below. Expressions of interest must be delivered (in person, by mail, or by e-mail) in a written form in three (3) hard copies (if not by e-mail) to the address below by 5pm 23rd February, 2016.
Mr. Farahan Mohamoud
Public Financial Management Reform Unit
Ministry of Finance
Villa Somalia, Mogadishu
Federal Republic of Somalia