RTI is an independent organization dedicated to conducting innovative, multidisciplinary research that improves the human condition.
With a worldwide staff of more than 4,000 people, RTI offers innovative research and development and a full spectrum of multidisciplinary services. Universities in North Carolina founded RTI in 1958 as a centerpiece of the Research Triangle Park.
RTI anticipates staffing the following expertise in positions for the USAID funded TUSOME Early Grade Reading Activity, focused on curriculum support, teacher training and teaching material development to improve the quality of early grade instruction in formal and APBET schools through a reading intervention.
TAYARI Early Childhood Development Education Project is focused on pre-literacy and pre-numeracy skills development for school readiness. The positions will be based in Nairobi.
Communication Specialist – Nairobi will work closely with the Chief of Party for both TAYARI and TUSOME project and is responsible for providing overall communications management for both projects by developing and implementing communications strategies that focus on project priorities.
The Specialist will raise national awareness on the issues of early childhood education and early grade reading.
He/She will also edit reports/proposals/studies, press releases, speeches and good practice documentation to ensure quality is maintained whilst remaining sensitive to issues of gender and social inclusion.
The Communication Specialist will develop strategic partnerships and network with local and national communication agencies and development partners to sensitize them on the work of the project.
He/She will contribute to enhanced production and dissemination of communication and advocacy materials, including brochures, and press releases as and when needed.
Qualifications & Experience:
- Minimum of Master’s Degree in Social Sciences, Journalism, or Communications / Public Relations with least (6) six years of increasingly responsible experience in Communications.
- Experience in conducting communication campaigns and capacity building efforts in Kenya is required.
- Previous experience working in a similar role on a USAID-funded or other donor project is desired.
- Proficiency in Information Systems, particularly in publications software is required.
- Excellent oral, written communication and editing skills in English is required.
Education Program Specialist (Training Specialist) – Nairobi will work closely with Regional Education Officer and is responsible for planning, coordinating and supervising the TUSOME training program for the Nairobi region.
He/She will collaborate with the Ministry of Education, Science and Technology (MoEST) and the Teachers Service Commission (TSC) county officers for successful training activities and classroom observations.
The Education Program Specialist will contribute to the development and revision of training and instructional materials.
He/She will facilitate ongoing classroom observations to support the TAC Tutors / Curriculum Support Officers (CSOs) while also monitoring TUSOME activities such as monthly zonal/cluster meetings and reading exhibitions in the region.
The assignment is designed to provide technical support for training at the regional level for effective project implementation.
Qualifications & Experience:
- Minimum of Masters of Arts/ Masters of Education Degree with eight (8) years of experience in the education sector.
- Familiarity with the policies and procedures of the MoEST, County Education offices and local school communities is desired.
- Understanding of scientifically-based reading research and a balanced literacy framework is required.
- Knowledge of Kiswahili and English transition instruction strategies required.
- Previous supervisory experience of education officers required.
How to Apply
To apply, please email cover letter and CV to firstname.lastname@example.org by 15th February, 2016 by 2.00 p.m.
Applicants must include the, POSITION in the subject line of the email.
Please do not attach copies of certificates.
We regret that only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.
We are proud to be an EEO/AA employer M/F/D/V