Vacancy: Bio-Safety Technician
Proposed Start Date: Immediately
Introduction: Maryland Global Initiatives Corporation (MGIC) is an affiliate of University of Maryland, Baltimore (UMB).
UMB has a Global Health Program which is delivered through the Maryland Global Initiatives Corporation (MGIC) and housed by various institutes among them the Institute of Human Virology (IHV).
Since 2004, IHV has partnered with the governments of Kenya, Guyana, Haiti, Nigeria, Rwanda, Tanzania, Uganda and Zambia to address each country’s growing HIV and AIDS epidemics.
The Institute has led efforts to build National Health Systems in each country via strategic international, national, and local collaborations through the design and implementation of unique education, training, and treatment programs addressing each country’s complex HIV/AIDS epidemics.
In Kenya, UMB through the Institute of Human Virology started operations in 2004 under the AIDS Relief Project consortium funded by Presidential Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief (PEPFAR) through HRSA/CDC.
This was the beginning of UMB’s work in Kenya which has seen implementation of 11 grants to-date.
MGIC is seeking a suitably qualified person able to fill the position of Bio-safety Technician, under the Boresha Maabara Grant.
Boresha Maabara Grant: “BORESHA MAABARA” (improve laboratory services) is a five (5) year project funded through the US Government Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) under the President’s Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief (PEPFAR).
The project seeks to enhance diagnostic testing for the prevention, surveillance and treatment of infectious diseases such as HIV and tuberculosis, and other HIV-related opportunistic infections.
The project is implemented jointly by the Ministry of Health, National Public Health Laboratory Services, National Blood Transfusion Service and the respective County Governments.
Position Summary: Under the supervision of Senior Technical Advisor, Bio-safety Technician will be responsible for installation and maintenance of biosafety cabinets in the project designated sites.
He/she will also offer mentorship and training on correct use of biosafety cabinets and safety.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Perform site Installation test for Biological safety cabinets, commissioning by adjusting, calibrating/certifying and testing their performances as per the international traceability standards in the Ministry of Health.
- Perform routine preventive maintenance, conduct troubleshooting and repairing malfunctions/ part replacements as per manufacturer’s specifications and standards.
- Perform Biosafety Cabinet and laboratory decontamination in line with safety requirements of handling paraformaldehyde gas or its equivalent as outlined in the NSF49 annex G or EN 12469-2000 standards.
- Provide mentorship to MOH engineering staff on BSC certification and service.
- Train and retrain new and old users on correct use of Biological safety Cabinets on site and demonstrate how safety is achieved.
- Train Laboratory staff on Biosafety Biosecurity (Trainer of trainers (TOT)) and occasionally perform laboratory assessment and audits as per ISO 15189.
- Carry out basic field maintenance to certification instruments and tools and organize for annual calibration by the specialists.
- Assist in laboratory design and equipment placement, advice facilities as required, Compile reports and findings.
- Assist other partners and facilities in line with Biosafety cabinetry work upon request.
- Assist in formulation of quarterly progress report in relation to the specialty.
- Bachelor of Science (BSc) degree/Diploma in Biomedical Engineering from a reputable organization.
- Must have advanced certification certificate on BSC certification from reputable institutions.
- Must be able to read and interpret data on the certification equipment/instruments and tools and ability to interpret printed power and electronic circuit diagrams.
- TOT in Biosafety/ Biosecurity is preferred.
- Ability to work independently, under pressure while at the same time adhering to strict deadlines.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Excellent analytical skills and problem solving skills.
- Innovative with a high degree of initiative
- Organizational skills
- Excellent Leadership & Presentation skills
How to apply
If you meet the above qualifications, you are requested to send your application and CV to email@example.com by January 27, 2016.
Candidates are required to quote the title of the position being applied on the subject line of the email.
Only shortlisted candidate will be contacted.
Maryland Global Initiatives Corporation is an equal opportunity employer.