Kenya Red Cross Society is one of the largest humanitarian organizations in Kenya.
Its mission is to be the leading humanitarian organization in Kenya delivering excellent quality service of preventing and Alleviating Human Suffering.
The Society seeks to fill the following position:
Position Title: Nutrition Advisor
Reporting to: Deputy Secretary General, Programmes and County Management
Job location: Headquarters
Reporting to the Deputy Secretary General, Programmes and County Management, the Nutrition Advisor will be responsible for providing technical support and coordination of nutrition programming with a special focus on supporting integration of nutrition in both emergency and development programmes for the National society.
Specific duties include building capacity and implementing selected projects to ensure alignment with the Society’s strategy, and assisting regions, counties and branches in acquiring adequate resources to effectively scale up and implement community based nutrition interventions in support of National policies and strategies
- Programme development and resource mobilization to grow the nutrition portfolio in Kenya Red Cross Society.
- Nutrition Policy /strategy development and implementation for KRCS at national and county level.
- Support KRCS overall strategy implementation, monitoring, reporting and evaluation.
- Nutrition programme management and coordination both internally and externally Technical support to other KRCS Programmes and disaster management operations teams Partnership management: including movement partners ( IFRC, ICRC, Partner national societies, National and County governments as well as UN network and other donors including the EU) this will also involve expanding partnerships for nutrition that also involves private sector
- Knowledge and learning including documentation of best practices
- Overall responsible for Reporting and supporting monitoring and evaluation of nutrition Programme
- Support talent acquisition and management for nutrition Programme
- Provide leadership in relevant Nutrition sector committees
- Representing KRCS in nutrition related meetings and networks
- Oversee the development and maintenance of a nutrition roster or database of consultants and short-term staff who could be deployed to support humanitarian emergencies
- Provide nutrition support and technical input to existing and new humanitarian capacity building programmes.
- Develop further technical capacity building initiatives for nutrition and integrated technical programming
- Provide high quality nutrition related technical support to the regions and branches including guidance on the design, budgeting, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of nutrition programs through on-going correspondence, review of proposals and reports as well as regular field visits and mentoring of key programme staff to improve quality
- Expertise or understanding of technical issues around policy and programming to support the integrated treatment of acute malnutrition within health systems
- Demonstrated proficiency in computer applications such as word processing, spreadsheets, data-base, email and utilization of the internet
- Strong analytical and conceptual skills and the ability to think and plan strategically
- Ability to travel at short notice
- Ability to work effectively across teams and departments
- Building Sustainable Organization Capabilities: Closing the capability gaps in order to drive sustainable business results both today and in the future. Looking at all aspects of capability building, including people, work processes, systems, and work environment.
- Process Improvement: Evaluating existing processes and identifying more efficient ways to accomplish goals and meet stakeholder requirements; continuously improving the processes through regular assessment and adjustment.
- Delegating/Following-Up: Ability to accomplish results through individuals and/or a team by delegating work, task, or assignments; establishing effective controls; ensuring that associates have the necessary resources and authority; monitor the results of delegations, assignments, or projects.
- Building Value-Based Relationships: Generating alliances internally and externally by continuously identifying and acting on those things that will create success for the organization and its stakeholders.
- Providing Feedback: Objectively observing, analyzing, and sharing your perception of other people's performance to reinforce or redirect behavior to improve performance and business results. Providing feedback that is timely, specific, behavioral, balanced, and constructive.
- Establishing Strategic Direction: Creating a clear view of the destination for the business unit; helping others understand how and why things will be different when the destination is achieved; building commitment and inspiring action toward the destination.
- Problem Analysis: Forming an opinion or making a decision through careful testing of assumptions and facts; taking action that is consistent with available facts, constraints, and probable consequences.
- Work Standards: Setting high standards of performance for self; assuming responsibility and accountability for successfully completing assignments or tasks; self-imposing standards of excellence rather than having standards imposed.
Education and Experience:
- MSC in public health, nutrition or equivalent
- At least 7 years experience in a similar role
- Track record of success in delivering high quality emergency response programmes in nutrition
Applications should contain: A letter of application, curriculum vitae, and copies of academic certificates, address and contacts of two referees.
Applications should be sent to the following address to be received on or before 5:00 pm Friday, 26th June 2015.
Late applications will not be considered.
The Secretary General
Kenya Red Cross Society
P.O. Box 40712-00100,