The Kenya Forest Service (KFS) is a State Corporation established by the Forests Act 2005.
Its mandate is to conserve, develop and sustainably manage forests and allied resources for environmental stability and the social-economic development of the people of Kenya.
In line with the provisions of the Forests Act 2005, the Service is seeking to recruit a Director who will be the Chief Executive Officer of the Service reporting to the Board of Directors.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- The Director shall be the Chief Executive officer of the Service responsible for the overall day to day management of the Service, overall leadership and implementation of the Service vision, mission and strategic Goals.
- Facilitating the operations of the Board of Directors and be a link between the Board and staff.
- The Director will be responsible for ensuring the implementation of the Board decisions.
- Provide strategic leadership and guidelines for the management, conservation and utilisation of all forests in the country
- To ensure the maintenance of accurate and up-to-date national forest information systems, plans and management systems.
- Collaborate with research institutions in identifying research needs and applying research findings.
- Promote national interests and compliance in relation to international forest conventions and principles.
- Advise on establishment of, determination and management of national forests as well as provisional forests in consultation with the forest owners
- Implementation of corporate policies and strategies to ensure that the corporate vision and mission is realized.
- Oversee effective management of human capital for optimal productivity.
- Act as the principal spokesperson of the Service ensuring its policies, vision, mission and services are positively understood by all stakeholders
- Overseeing the development and implementation of suitable performance management metrics and reporting structures to achieve set performance targets.
- Oversee the management of the Kenya forestry college
- Ensure all business systems, processes and operations are effective and comply with applicable statutory provisions.
- Manage the overall corporate risk while facilitating improvement in each functional area, to balance budgets and resource mix in order to provide the best return on investment in line with organizational growth.
- Grow and efficiently manage the Service’s resources for sustainable corporate growth and long term viability
Academic Qualifications and Experience
In order to be considered the applicant must:
- Have at least fifteen (15) year’s knowledge and experience in the field of forestry, seven (7) of which must have been in a senior management position within a large reputable organization in the private or public sector.
- Have an undergraduate degree from an accredited university in the field of forestry.
- Have a postgraduate degree in a relevant knowledge area – forest management, business management, strategic management, project management, public administration, environmental management etc.
- Be a member of the Forestry Society of Kenya (FSK) or a similar relevant professional body in good standing
- Be a person of high integrity who meets the requirements of Chapter six of the Constitution.
- Have been cleared by the Higher Education Loans Board (HELB).
- Have a valid certificate of good conduct.
- Have been cleared by the Ethics and Anti-corruption commission (EACC).
- Have a valid tax compliance certificate
Key Skills and Competencies
The applicant must demonstrate an understanding of Government priorities & Mwongozo code of Governance for state corporations.
An applicant should demonstrate the capability to manage risks and operate within the complex socio-economic environment of the Forestry sector.
An applicant should have a distinguished track record in his/her respective field, be able to motivate staff, resilient and able to put the Service on a sound financial footing, largely independent of Government support.
An applicant needs to be passionate, able to recognize policy trade-offs resulting from sustainable management and public good elements of conservation as well as initiate and manage change.
If you believe you have the required skills, qualifications and appropriate experience, please apply attaching: an application letter, an up to date curriculum vitae indicating your current and expected remuneration, the names and all contact details of three referees, certified copy of national identity card, certified copies of clearance certificates/letters, certified copies of testimonials, certified copies of professional and academic certificates in a sealed envelope marked “APPLICATION FOR THE POST OF DIRECTOR – KFS” to;
P.O. Box 49010 – 00100,
The deadline for submission is 7th July 2015 at 5.00pm
The successful applicants will be employed on a three-year employment contract, renewable once upon meeting the laid down performance targets.
Canvassing will lead to disqualification.
The Service is ISO accredited and an equal opportunity employer.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Applicants living with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
For more information on the Service, please visit our website: www.kenyaforestservice.org.