International Potato Center
Vacancy: Project Accountant
Vacancy: Project Accountant
The International Potato Center (CIP) is seeking to recruit a dynamic and experienced Project Accountant to support a USAID funded project in Sub Saharan Africa (SSA).
The Center: CIP is a not-for-profit international agricultural research organization supported by the Consultative Group on International Agricultural Research (CGIAR) with a global mandate to conduct research on genetic resources of potatoes, sweetpotato, and other Andean roots and tubers, crop genetic enhancement and improvement, integrated crop management and sustainable management of natural resources.
The Position: The position will be based in Nairobi, Kenya and CIP is seeking an experienced Accountant who will manage all financial processes associated with the USAID funded Projects in Sub Saharan Africa (SSA), according to established standards, policies and procedures of CIP and the donor.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Receive and review monthly field financial reports for consistency, completeness and accuracy of documentation and proper posting to the correct project budget item; this requires briefing assigned home office project staff to go over results of the review, especially in the context of programmatic activities;
- Staying current with donor regulations and the award requirements identified in the CIP compliance matrix.
- Ensure that expenditures meet donor compliance plans and regulations;
- Ensure Partner or sub-grantee compliance with donor requirements;
- Provide advice on ways to improve the field accounting function for multiple projects and multiple donors;
- When applicable, review cost share documentation received from the field for compliance, completeness and accuracy; enter information into reporting documents;
- When requested, and in conjunction with Program Managers or other staff, provide forms and worksheets to field finance staff as needed to track or document in-kind cost share, travel advances, allocation of costs among programs, payroll reports, etc. Assist staff in developing custom forms or worksheets as needed;
- Assist Program Managers and other project staff in monitoring project spending levels against budget;
- Set up a close out plan for the project;
- Please visit our job opportunities website for a more details position description.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Business Administration;
- A minimum of three years of demonstrated experience in the accounting/finance/administrative area;
- Knowledge of the international development funding arena desirable;
- Aptitude for understanding complex regulations and monitoring financial transactions and documentation for compliance;
- Familiarity with USAID projects, FAR and ADS rules and regulations and OMB Circulars;
- Excellent computer skills, including advanced Excel skills and experience with automated accounting systems;
- Cross cultural sensitivity;
- Strong e-mail communication skills, ability to write in a manner sensitive to cultural differences, and provide clarity to staff where English is not the primary working language of the project.
Conditions: This is a Nationally Recruited Position limited to Kenyan nationals and permanent residents.
The employment contract will be for a two year term with possibility of renewal subject to satisfactory performance and availability of funds.
CIP prides itself on its collegial and supportive working environment, which allows space for personal and professional growth.
The successful candidate will receive a compensation package comparable with similar organizations.
Applications: Applicants should apply online through CIP’s Job Opportunities website (http://cipotato.org/open-vacancies/), including a letter of motivation, a full CV with the names and contact information of three references that are knowledgeable of the candidate’s professional qualifications and work experience.
Screening of applications will begin on June 30th 2015 and will continue until the post is filled.
Only short listed candidates will be contacted.
You can learn more about CIP by accessing our web site athttp://www.cipotato.org
CIP is an equal opportunity employer.
Qualified women are particularly encouraged to apply.