Vacancy: Senior Officer, Technical Services
Job Ref: ICPAK 005/2015
The Institute of Certified Public Accountants of Kenya (ICPAK) is the professional organization for Certified Public Accountants in Kenya established in 1978 by the then Accountants Act, CAP 531 subsequently repealed to Accountants Act no. 15 of 2008.
It is also a member of the International Federation of Accountants (IFAC), the global umbrella body for the accountancy profession.
Since its establishment, ICPAK has been dedicated to development and regulation of the accountancy profession in Kenya so as to enhance its contribution and that of its members to national economic growth and development.
In its endeavor on institutional strengthening, ICPAK is seeking to recruit dynamic, self-driven and results oriented individual to fit in a team meant to make it a world class Professional Accountancy Organization.
Job Summary: Reporting to the Manager Technical Services in the Professional Services Division, the Senior Officer, Technical Services will be a key member of the Institute and is expected to understand, support, and promote the development and implementation of accounting professional standards.
The Senior Officer, Technical Services will work closely with the Professional Standards Committee (PSC) and will be responsible for planning and conducting research and analyses, supporting the Institute activities in the submission of ICPAK comments to standards setting boards, issuance of technical resources to support the development and implementation of professional standards.
This position is placed at Senior Officer Level – ICPAK Grade 6
Job Profile / Responsibilities: Essential duties and responsibilities shall include those listed below; other incidental duties may be allocated from time to time:
The position requires a person who is ‘hands-on’, highly organized, able to work with minimum supervision, and has excellent communication, teamwork and interpersonal skills.
The duties and responsibilities include among others:
1. Standard Setting Process (Standard Development)
Support the development of professional standards impacting on accounting and financial reporting;
- Plan, coordinate, and support of PSC, including preparation of high quality agenda papers for relevant projects, and discuss project progress against objectives and timetable as appropriate.
- Maintain and update the discussion papers, exposure drafts and consultation papers log.
- Identify key developments in the legislations and other regulations affecting the accountancy profession and propose for the development and issuance of guidance.
- Prepare draft staff position for circulation to members of the Institute seeking their views on documents issued by standard setting boards
- Prepare draft submissions on exposure drafts and discussion papers issued by the standard setting boards.
- Follow-up to ensure draft comments are reviewed and approved in a timely manner and submitted to standard setting boards.
- Publications of articles on development in standard setting arena in the e-newsletter, through e-connect and the media where necessary.
2. Standard Implementation
Support the implementation of professional Standards and other Guidelines, Policies, Laws and Regulations pertaining to the accountancy profession;
- Support outreach activities under the direction of the Technical Manager to create awareness on new standards issued and their impact.
- Prepare draft publications on updates on standards issued by the standard setting boards and other interpretations, and legal developments through the technical e-newsletter.
- Maintain an accurate and current listing of outreach presentations and other ICPAK activities for internal and external reporting purposes and inclusion in the ICPAK Annual Report
- Developing appropriate initial guidelines and other Templates and providing any necessary technical support to facilitate better understanding and implementation of professional standards under the direction of the Technical Manager.
- Review and recommend for update on an annual basis the technical guides developed in the past to ensure that they are relevant.
- Maintain and update technical helpdesk - Technical support to members, issue tracker where timelines for responding will be agreed upon and a specific staff as the contact point for any technical matter that comes on board.
- Facilitate in-house and branch training on specific standards.
3. Monitoring Compliance
- Environmental scanning to identify implementation challenges and recommend changes to the legal environment impacting the accountancy profession.
- Co-ordinate receipt of reports on compliance with relevant regulations impacting accountancy from the respective regulators.
- In conjunction with the Public Sector Accounting Standards Board (PSASB (K)), carry out surveys on needs adoption challenges on use of all IPSAS
- Spearhead the Financial Reporting (FiRe) Awards - review annual reports and financial statements of various entities through FiRe Award to assess compliance levels.
- Prepare agendas and papers for PSC meetings in relevant projects.
- Attend and participate in ICPAK and relevant task force meetings; minute deliberations and decisions.
5. Support of the ICPAK External Relations
- As necessary, conduct research on issues affecting implementation of professional standards and developments on legal and regulatory
- Assist in the preparation and dissemination of ICPAK position papers on legislations affecting the professional accountants.
6. Organizational Development
- Provide administrative support to the PSC and contribute to the organization and efficient operation of ICPAK meetings and related activities.
- Coach and mentor the ICPAK officers within the division and assist in achievement of performance goals.
- Risk champion for the department
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Information Communication Technology (ICT) savvy
- Strong organizational skills
- Project management skills, with ability to work under tight deadlines and manage multiple work streams concurrently
- Excellent interpersonal skills
The successful candidate shall demonstrate the following personal attributes:
- Ability to manage multiple tasks, organize priorities and meet deadlines
- Capable of working in a team and with others at all levels of the organization, as well as with external stakeholders, and across multiple cultures
- Strong sense of responsibility and ability to work with minimal supervision or as part of a team
- Flexible and able to handle changing priorities while remaining calm under pressure
- Proactive, service-oriented attitude
- Able to analyze and synthesize large amounts of information into summaries
- competency in accounting packages
- ability to work with minimal supervision
Qualifications and experience:
- A holder of Bachelor’s degree in Commerce, Business Management or its equivalent
- A holder of CPA (K) or any other globally recognised accountancy qualification
- Five (5) years working experience recommended
- At least four (4) years relevant work experience (e.g., in professional practice, a professional accountancy organization, office of the auditor general or accounting environment).
How to Apply:
Interested candidates should submit their application letter, CV and other scanned relevant documents clearly indicating the position applied for, current and expected salary to the following: firstname.lastname@example.org
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Applications should be received on or before close of business on Friday 19th June, 2015.