Vacancy: Senior Officer, Internal Audit, Risk and Compliance
Job Ref: ICPAK 003/2015
The Institute of Certified Public Accountants of Kenya (ICPAK) is the professional organization for Certified Public Accountants in Kenya established in 1978 by the then Accountants Act, CAP 531 subsequently repealed to Accountants Act no. 15 of 2008.
It is also a member of the International Federation of Accountants (IFAC), the global umbrella body for the accountancy profession.
Since its establishment, ICPAK has been dedicated to development and regulation of the accountancy profession in Kenya so as to enhance its contribution and that of its members to national economic growth and development.
In its endeavor on institutional strengthening, ICPAK is seeking to recruit dynamic, self-driven and results oriented individual to fit in a team meant to make it a world class Professional Accountancy Organization.
Job Summary: Reporting to the Manager, Internal Audit, Risk and Compliance, the successful candidate will ensure successful completion of audit assignments including Audit planning, execution and reporting.
Moreover he/she will be expected to identify areas of internal control weaknesses and areas of non compliance within the Institute and provide sound and practical recommendations to management.
In addition, the successful candidate shall ensure that risk management culture is instilled within the institute by facilitating the work of the risk champions in accordance with the ICPAK risk Management Framework.
He / she shall prepare periodic risk management reports to the Institute’s Risk Management Committee (RMC) for consideration.
This position is placed at Senior Officer Level – ICPAK Grade 6
Job Profile / Responsibilities: Essential duties and responsibilities shall include those listed below; other incidental duties may be allocated from time to time:
1. Ensure internal controls are working effectively.
- Plan and conduct internal audits of various functions within the Institute including operational and financial audits;
- Develop audit programs and review procedures relevant to audit objectives;
- Document audit work and findings in accordance with accepted auditing standards;
- Obtain and review audit evidence and ensuring that the audit conclusions reached are supported by appropriate and relevant audit evidence;
- Identify weaknesses in internal controls / business processes in the institute;
- During audit process, engage with auditees seeking clarifications on various exceptions noted before drafting the audit report;
- Communicate control issues raised during the audit process, offering recommended solutions relevant to business and the risk identified.
- Conduct follow up on audit recommendations to ensure implementation of agreed corrective actions;
2. Facilitate the effective implementation of the Enterprise Risk Management in the Institute.
- Facilitate risk management processes by undertaking risk identification, assessment, mitigation and Monitoring & reporting.
- Facilitate periodic /monthly meetings with the Institute’s risk champions
- Ensure departmental reports on risk management including risk registers are reviewed by the risk champions in collaborations with the risk owners.
- Compile risk management reports from business units and forward to Risk Management Committee (RMC) for deliberations through the Manager Audit, risk & Compliance.
3. Check the Institute’s compliance with various legislations, agreements, MoU’s etc
- Conducts compliance checks to provide assurance on the Institute’s compliance with various legislations, treaties, MoUs etc
- Highlight in periodic (Quarterly) reports areas of non-compliance and discuss the same with responsible managers;
- Report writing Skills,
- Microsoft Office Skills,
- Managing Processes,
- Analyzing Information and
- Communication skills
This position will be suitable to persons with;
- good understanding of auditing work and the accountancy profession in Kenya
- competency in accounting packages
- ability to work with minimal supervision
- ability to communicate well both to internal and external stakeholders
Qualifications and Experience:
- A holder of Bachelor’s degree in Commerce, Business Management or its equivalent
- A holder of CPA (K) or any other globally recognised accountancy qualification
- Five (5) years working experience recommended
- Three (3) years relevant experience in internal or/and external audit
How to Apply:
Interested candidates should submit their application letter, CV and other scanned relevant documents clearly indicating the position applied for, current and expected salary to the following: internal firstname.lastname@example.org
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Applications should be received on or before close of business on Friday 19th June, 2015.