SMEP Microfinance Bank Limited, a Christian based bank regulated by the Central Bank of Kenya, invites applications from interested and suitably qualified candidates to fill the position of:
Head of Credit
Ref: HOC/3/5/HRD/2015The position is responsible for protecting the company’s finances by ensuring prudent credit policies and procedures are in place to efficiently and effectively mitigate risk by controlling credit and managing the debts owed by customers to ensure profitability.
The job may involve lots of travel within the country and requires a flexible person.
Duties and Responsibilities Reporting to the CEO the successful candidate will be expected to handle the following: -
- Facilitate the formulation, implementation, review and ensure compliance to credit strategies, policies and procedures
- Manage the Microfinance credit function efficiently and effectively to ensure profitability and risk mitigation
- Developing credit products through the evaluation of customer needs and activities in liaison with the Operations / business development department
- Undertake risk management through monitoring and administration of credit performance through reports and returns from the branch network
- Develop and maintain business relationships with key customers and stakeholders in order to maintain and create business opportunities and help in monitoring customers’ credit rating with banks and credit reference agencies
- Providing support to the branches on credit matters
- Responsible for ensuring a strong portfolio quality and control of the credit book
- Responsible for credit administration by setting terms of credit and ensure timely repayment by customers
- Manage a team of credit analysts or accounting technicians
- Negotiate repayment plans and discontinue credit to late-paying business customers
- Responsible for initiating legal action to recover debts if necessary and dealing with cases of insolvency – meeting other creditors, arranging for goods to be recovered, or arranging for a liquidator to sell off a defaulter’s assets.
- Perform any other function/duty as may be assigned/directed by management from time to time
Qualifications and Competencies
- Masters degree in Business Administration /Finance/Economics
- Postgraduate qualification in credit management or a BTEC National Diploma or HND or credit
- Member of AKIB and AICM
- Have 5 years relevant work experience 3 of which in a similar position preferably in a financial environment. Hands on experience with T24 emerge is an added advantage
- Be aged between 35 – 45 years
- Applicants must be committed Christians
Other Key Skills
- Posses strong analytical and numeracy skills,
- experience in credit control and a working knowledge of credit law,
- ability to assess risk, excellent written and communication skills,
- a team player with demonstrable managerial, organization and interpersonal skills including ICT skills.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.