Organization: Adeso - African Development Solutions
Position Title: Field Accounts Assistant
Position Title: Field Accounts Assistant
Reporting to: Senior Project Officer – REGAL IR
Working with: All staff, REGAL IR
Program / Duty Station: Garissa Office
Duration: 1 year, renewable
Salary Grade: National Scale, Grade F
Organizational Context: Adeso is an expanding and vibrant African based international development and humanitarian organization.
At Adeso, we work with African communities who are yet to realize their full potential; working inside these communities to create environments in which Africans can thrive.
Our belief that economic, social and environmental security is the bedrock of a healthy community drives the nature and intent of our programming.
We work to prevent and overcome situations that adversely affect community well-being by: reinvigorating the economy, developing skills for life and work, providing humanitarian aid, and influencing policy.
For the past 20 years we have strengthened rural livelihoods through environmental awareness, training, technology transfer and innovative humanitarian projects in pursuit of a peaceful, self-reliant, and greener future. At present, Adeso has programs in Somalia, Kenya and South Sudan.
Adeso is an exciting and dynamic organization experiencing managed rapid growth. It offers sound employment conditions with opportunities for personal growth and development.
Project Summary: Resilience and Economic Growth in Arid Lands-Improving Resilience (REGAL-IR) is a 5-year project sponsored by USAID/Kenya and Feed the Future (FtF) to reduce hunger and poverty, increase social stability and build strong foundations for economic growth amongst pastoralists and transitioning pastoralists in Kenya’s arid and semi-arid lands (ASALs).
The program is designed to empower communities to take charge of their development and to strengthen their capacity to select, design, implement and monitor activities toward increasing their social, economic, and environmental resilience to environmental shocks.
Adeso is the Prime for REGAL-IR and manages implementation by a consortium of partners.
Specific Roles and Responsibilities
The Field Accounts assistant position will be a full-time member of the Adeso staff, working with the teams in county offices.
- Ensure proper management of petty cash,
- Process and make payments as provided in the approved budgets
- Record transactions in the system including coding of payment vouchers before making payment,
- Carry out reconciliations of cash and bank balances on regularly basis,
- Prepare schedule of payments of utilities, statutory deduction and ensure timely payment of the same,
- Ensure timely preparation of all advances including travel and other advances and provide monthly update of any outstanding advances.
- Ensure timely liquidation of any outstanding advances
- Ensuring maintenance of an efficient, proper and transparent financial filing system for the department and the organization in accordance with the organizational guidelines.
- Assist in the preparation for audits (both projects and institutional audits)
- Perform any other duty as may be assigned.
Skills and Qualifications
- Professional accounting qualification (CPA-K, ACCA) or related Bachelor degree
- At least one year working experience with NGO
- Ability to work to tight deadlines and handle multiple concurrent activities
- Excellent in written and spoken English.
- Ability to work well in a team
- A pro-active approach to work
- Ability to handle pressures and meet deadlines and willingness to learn
This is a challenging opportunity for a dedicated and highly motivated professional.
If you would like to join this dynamic team, please submit your application to firstname.lastname@example.org, quoting the position in the email subject matter, by Friday 19th June 2015.
Each application should be addressed to HR Director and include the following:
- An updated CV with updated contact details: Phone No., Email Address and Skype ID; and
- An application letter which should include cover letter, remuneration requirements and contact information for three work-related referees.
Applications not including all of the above information will not be reviewed.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Adeso is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate based on one's background, beliefs, gender or sexual orientation.