The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) is an impartial, neutral and independent organisation with the exclusively humanitarian mission to protect the lives and dignity of victims of war and internal violence and to provide them with assistance.
It also endeavours to prevent suffering by promoting and strengthening International Humanitarian Law and universal humanitarian principles.
The ICRC’s Somalia Delegation in Nairobi implements the institution’s humanitarian activities in Somalia.
Health Field Officer (Hospital)
This position is a full time position starting immediately.
The ICRC Somalia Delegation in Nairobi is seeking for an experienced and highly motivated person to fill the above mentioned position.
The Health Field Officer (Hospital) forms part of the team working under the supervision of the Health Program Coordinator.
The incumbent will be responsible to provide advice, as well as to support the Delegation’s strategies on diverse issues related to the implementation and monitoring of hospital projects in Somalia.
These duties require an in-depth knowledge of emergency room and surgical care as well as the social, political and economic context of Somalia.
- S/he will be based in Somalia and work within the frame of the health department’s approaches and of the wider delegation strategy for Somalia; s/he will do regular reporting visit to the Delegation in Nairobi;
- S/he will work in close collaboration with the general ICRC Field Officers based in the different regions of Somalia as well as with the staff of the Somali Red Crescent;
- S/he will contribute with collection and analysis of data gathered in the field;
- S/he will assist the hospital delegate and will report upon the issues assigned by the Department;
- S/he will contribute to the assessments, design, implementation and monitoring of the hospital-programs;
- S/he will contribute to the Delegation internal reporting.
- Doctor or nurse qualification with a sound knowledge of hospital care programs and more specifically on hospital management, trauma management, nursing care, hygiene and cleaning and drug management.
- At least 2 years ofwork experience in a similar field; former experience with humanitarian organizations is a strong asset.
- Significant knowledge of public health assessment methodologies, including design, implementation, analysis and reporting
- Fluent Somali speaker with excellent knowledge of English
- Excellent presentation and communication skills
- Good computer skills
- knowledge of geographically assigned environment
- Good organizational and analytical skills
- Good interpersonal, reporting and writing skills
- Ability to work independently and in a team
- Flexibility and willingness to travel extensively in Somalia and to spend long periods in the field
Interested persons (of Somali nationality or origin) with the required background and experience are invited to submit their application to the Human Resources department on the below address before 20th July 2013.
Please include detailed curriculum vitae, current and expected remuneration and contact details of three referees.
Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Canvassing will lead to automatic disqualification.
International Committee of the Red Cross, Somalia Delegation,
Denis Pritt Road,
P.O.Box 73226, Nairobi, 00200,