Organisation: Caritas Switzerland is a non-governmental aid agency and a member of Caritas International-is. Caritas works worldwide and adheres to international humanitarian principles (NGO code of conduct).
Caritas encourages people to take charge of their own fate and does this by promoting local initiatives that sustainably improve the living conditions of the socially disadvantaged, advocating the conservation of natural resources, supporting civil conflict resolution and peace building, cooperating with local partners and strengthening their own commitments.
We operate an office in Nairobi; have Country Offices in Somaliland (Hargeisa) and South Sudan (Torit) and a Representative in Ethiopia (Addis Ababa).
During the 2011 Horn of Africa Crisis, Caritas Switzerland responded in Kenya with emergency projects Marsabit, Wajir, Turkana, Dadaab, Kitui and Ngong.
The interventions focused on WASH and Food Security to mitigate the impacts of drought on pastoralist communities.
For its follow-up WASH project in Marsabit, Kenya, Caritas is seeking to recruit a Driver/Logistics Assistant for its Project Office in Laisamis.
Position: Driver / Logistics Assistant
Reporting to: Project Office Manager, Laisamis
Location: Based in Laisamis with frequent travel to Nairobi
Start: As soon as possible
Duration: 16 months
Key tasks & responsibilities
- Responsible for driving authorised persons and transporting project goods in a timely, safe and cost efficient manner;
- Ensure the safety of passengers, cargo and vehicle while strictly observing traffic rules and road discipline;
- Manage the day-to-day maintenance of the assigned vehicle to ensure roadworthiness (including daily check of tyres, brakes, engine oil, fan belt etc.);
- Ensure that the project vehicle is only used for official/ authorised business;
- Follow up on official requests for office purchases at the Laisamis project office;
- Assist in minor office premises maintenance works at the Laisamis project office;
- Support the Project Office Manager in procurement processes;
- Responsible for receiving procured goods and arranging transportation to their final desti-nation(s);
- Responsible for the security analysis in the project area and timely updates to the Security Focal Point of Kenya office.
Desirable Qualifications, skills & attributes
- Possession of a valid national driving license (A, B, C, E classes);
- Possession of a recent Good Conduct certificate from Kenya Police;
- Over 30 years of age with at least 5 years continuous work experience in the described responsibilities, preferably with an NGO;
- Good knowledge of and experience as a driver in rural areas of Kenya, especially off road driving;
- Additional occupational training such as first aid, defensive driving and security awareness would be an asset;
- Good communication skills with thorough knowledge of English and Kiswahili;
- Samburu or Rendille language skills would be a highly appreciated asset;
- Strong interpersonal and intercultural skills;
- A proactive personality;
- Good team player.
If you feel you fit the required profile, please let us know how your qualifications, experience and career ambitions match the requirements of this position.
Send your application latest by Friday, 2nd August to email@example.com indicating “Driver / Logistics Assistant” on the subject line.
The applications will be processed as they are received.
Please provide a Curriculum Vitae (CV) that contains details of your qualifications, experience, present position, current remuneration, earliest date of availability, names and telephone contacts of three referees.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.